Mum makes these delicious cottage cheese pancakes all the time. She would make them for us for supper. Friends who were lucky enough to try them, would always ask to be re-invited when the next batch were made. They really are that good!! They are a traditional russian dish called 'Tvorozhniki'.
Since I moved out I've been craving them so I decided to make them tonight. Of course they are not the same as mum's however they still are yummy. I put in 2 eggs which would have been fine with about twice as much cottage cheese so I added plain yoghurt. If you want to make the recipe the traditional way the best way would be to place only one egg instead of two and no yoghurt or alternatively you can use only yoghurt.
- 200 grams cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons flour
- sultanas (optional)
- oil or butter or margarine for frying
1. Beat eggs lightly in a bowl. Add cottage cheese and yoghurt and mix.
2. Add vanilla extract and sugar - mix.
3. Add one spoonful of flour at a time and mix. You may need to use slightly more or less flour depending on the consistency of the cottage cheese and yoghurt. You want the mixture to be not very runny but also not doughy.
5. Heat oil on frying pan on medium-high. Place one tablespoon of the mixture onto the frying pan - depending on the size of your frying pan you can do a few. Wait till you see slight bubbling at the sides of the pancakes and then turn them over.
6. Serve with cream or yoghurt, jam or fresh fruit