This cake is perfect as a tea cake. I felt like making a cake that is not too sweet and had a middle eastern style and therefore I made it using semolina.
Yoghurt, Orange and Pistachio Cake
- 100g whole pistachios
- 75g self raising flour
- 1 ¼ cups fine semolina
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup plain yoghurt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 1 small orange
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- orange peel of 2 oranges
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. In a large bowl, add pistachios and sift flour, semolina, bicarbonate soda and sugar. Mix.
2. In a separate bowl add yoghurt, eggs and oil. Beat for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add orange zest and orange juice to the egg mixture and mix
4. While stirring the flour mixture, slowly add the yoghurt mixture until combined. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
5. Butter the cake tin. Pour in cake mixture. Place in oven for 30 minutes.
6. Cover the cake with foil and place in oven for another 15 minutes.
7. Whilst the cake is baking julienne the orange peel. Add the sugar and water to a pot. Dissolve the sugar in the water over medium heat. Add the orange peel and cook for 20 minutes.
8. Remove cake from tin. Poke holes in the top of the cake. Slowly drizzle the syrup over the top of the cake. (Do this very slowly to allow the cake to absorb the syrup).
9. Decorate with the candied orange peel.