Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Yoghurt, Orange and Pistachio Cake


This cake is perfect as a tea cake.  I felt like making a cake that is not too sweet and had a middle eastern style and therefore I made it using semolina.


Yoghurt, Orange and Pistachio Cake

Ingredients
-       100g whole pistachios
-       75g self raising flour
-       1 ¼ cups fine semolina
-       1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
-       ¼ cup white sugar
-       ¾ cup plain yoghurt
-       3 eggs
-       2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
-       zest of 1 small orange
-       ½ cup orange juice
-       1 cup water
-       1 cup white sugar
-       orange peel of 2 oranges

Method
1.     Preheat oven to 180°C.  In a large bowl, add pistachios and sift flour, semolina, bicarbonate soda and sugar.  Mix.
2.     In a separate bowl add yoghurt, eggs and oil.  Beat for 3-5 minutes.
3.     Add orange zest and orange juice to the egg mixture and mix
4.     While stirring the flour mixture, slowly add the yoghurt mixture until combined.  Let it rest for 5 minutes.
5.     Butter the cake tin.  Pour in cake mixture. Place in oven for 30 minutes.
6.     Cover the cake with foil and place in oven for another 15 minutes.
7.     Whilst the cake is baking julienne the orange peel.  Add the sugar and water to a pot.  Dissolve the sugar in the water over medium heat.  Add the orange peel and cook for 20 minutes.
8.     Remove cake from tin.  Poke holes in the top of the cake.  Slowly drizzle the syrup over the top of the cake.  (Do this very slowly to allow the cake to absorb the syrup).
9.     Decorate with the candied orange peel.

2 comments:

  1. Katia, got into your blog to check out that yummy panforte recipe - which I will definitely make and restrain myself, so that I don't keep pigging out on it. Howwever I have just spotted this recipe too for the Orange, Pistachio and Yoghurt cake. What a coincidence as I stocked up on pistachios today whilst at the shops. I adore anything with pistachios in it plus other ingredients are some of my favs too.
    Will let you know how I go with these cakes, thanks heaps for sharing!
    Lyn Roe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyn, thanks for checking out my blog! If you have any particular recipe requests, let me know :). I try to update my blog once or twice a week. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete