A delicious moist cake, perfect for winter.
Rhubarb and Cinnamon Cake
- 60g butter (at room temperature)
- 300g plain flour
- 350g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup creme fraiche/sour cream (or 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup cream)
- 3-4 sticks of rhubarb
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla essence with an electric hand beater until creamy.
3. Add cinnamon and salt and mix with wooden spoon.
4. Sift in flour and bicarb soda and mix with a wooden spoon.
5. Add creme fraiche (or substitute) and lemon zest and mix till homogenous mixture.
6. Wash and cut rhubarb into small pieces and add to the cake batter and mix.
7. Butter individual ramekins or a large cake tin. Add cake batter. Sprinkle the top with a layer of white sugar and cinnamon. Place into oven on lower shelf. The cooking time will vary depending on the container used. Individual ramekins will cook in about 40 minutes and a large cake tin should take about 70 minutes. However check, using a skewer whether the cake is fully cooked inside.
8. Serve warm with fresh cream :)