Apple, Cinnamon and Yoghurt Cake
- 60g butter (at room temperature)
- 300g plain flour
- 230g brown sugar
- 50g white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 Granny Smith apples
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla essence with an electric hand beater until creamy.
3. Add cinnamon and salt and mix with wooden spoon.
4. Sift in flour and bicarb soda and mix with a wooden spoon.
5. Add yoghurt and mix till homogenous mixture forms.
6. Peel apple and cut into 1cm cubes and add to the cake batter and mix OR slice apples into thin slices and place on top of the batter once it is in the tin.
7. Butter individual ramekins or a large cake tin. Add cake batter. Sprinkle the top with a thin layer of white sugar and cinnamon. Place into oven on lower shelf. The cooking time will vary depending on the container used. Individual ramekins will cook in about 40 minutes and a large cake tin should take about 60 minutes. However check, using a skewer whether the cake is fully cooked inside.