This potato and leek soup is another one of mums recipes. At the beginning of the year Nick and I went to a wonderful restaurant in Victoria's Mornington Peninsula and enjoyed a delicious lunch. Before our meal a small tasting of potato and leek soup was served to us, compliments of the chef. It had a blue cheese mixed through it, the saltiness of it cut through the creaminess of the soup perfectly. I decided to use mums recipe to make the soup and at the end mix through some blue cheese. If you're not a fan of blue cheese, the soup tastes delicious without it and is another very easy recipe to make.
- 3-4 leeks
- 5-6 potatoes
- 1L milk
- 1 cup water
- 25g butter
- blue cheese (I used King Island Roaring Forties)
1. Trim the dark leaves and the hairy roots off the leek and wash thoroughly. Cut the leek along its length and slice.
2. Wash and peel potatoes. Dice.
3. Add leeks, potatoes, milk and water to a pot and place on medium-high heat till it begins to boil. Be sure to use a wooden spoon to mix it everynow and then so the milk does not burn. Once it begins to boil, turn down the heat to medium-low and cook for 45 minutes.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste and the butter. Take off heat and use a barmix to mash the soup, ensuring no lumps.
5. Optional - add blue cheese and mix or serve as is. Enjoy :)