Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Rich Dark Chocolate Moelleux

I was in Paris at the beginning of the year and of my many excellent meals eaten over there one dish stood out - a French style chocolate lava pudding known as 'Moelleux'.  As soon as I tasted the rich velvety taste I knew I had to replicate it when I got home.  Though this recipe is my own rendition of this dessert, it still has the rich gooey taste I remember so fondly from Paris.  Remember to use the best chocolate and butter for this recipe as it will make a huge difference to the taste.  The moelleux can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the fridge and placed in the oven just before serving.  Serve with your favourite fresh berries.

Dark Chocolate Moelleux
Makes 4

Ingredients
 - 170 grams 70% Cocoa chocolate (I used Lindt)
 - 170 grams unsalted butter
 - 3 eggs
 - 1/2 cup white sugar
 - 1/3 cup white flour

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Break up chocolate and cut up butter and place in a bain-marie and melt gently, stirring continuously until all the chocolate and butter has melted.  Take off heat and let cool to just above room temperature (about 15 minutes)
3.  Whilst waiting for the chocolate mixture to cool, in a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs and sugar together.
4.  Using a whisk or spatula to mix the eggs, slowly add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture until all combined.
5.  Add flour and mix.  Divide the mixture between 4 ramekins.
6.  Place in oven for 8-10 minutes for a very rich, gooey dessert or keep in for a little longer for a moist cake to form.  Enjoy with lots of fresh berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment