These wontons are very easy to make and freeze well. The dried black fungus mushrooms (available at asian grocers) used in the filling gives a really lovely texture. You can also add very finely chopped spring onions to the filling. I boiled the wontons, however they can be deep fried. Enjoy :)
Chicken and Mushroom Wontons
Makes approx. 60 wontons
- 500grams chicken mince
- 7-10 dried whole black fungus
- 7-10 slices of dried shitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- half bunch of coriander
- won ton wrappers or goo gee wrappers (available in supermarkets and Asian grocers)
1. Place the dried mushrooms into a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to the boil on moderate heat and keep it boiling for 10 minutes. Remove from heat
2. While waiting for the mushrooms to hydrate, in a bowl add chicken mince, eggs, ginger, soy sauce,oil, sugar and salt.
3. Very finely chop the coriander and add to the mixture
5. Use this mixture to make the wontons. There are many ways to fold the wontons. I folded the square wontons in half to make triangles. You can fold them anyway you like but just remember to use a little water at the joins and ensure that no air is trapped.
6. Gently place in simmering water for 5 minutes or until the filling has cooked through.
7. Serve with home made chicken soup