Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Russian Eggs



I woke up on my last full day in Melbourne with a bizarre craving for caviar.  I have no idea why or what made me think of this salty delicacy.  However, coincidently, later that day I conveniently overhead mum talking to my grandma, Gaba, about where to buy caviar.  And so after telling mum about my craving she spoilt me and took me to the russian deli on Koornang Rd (Russian Tidbits).  For lunch we indulged in fresh french baguette, good quality butter and caviar.  YUM!

Later that day I remembered about russian eggs, a hors d'oeuvres that was often served at russian parties and always very popular.  This recipe doesn't have exact measurements so just ensure that you try the yolk mixture to see if anything is missing and that it isn't dry.

Russian Eggs


Ingredients
 - 6 eggs, hard boiled, peeled
 - 2 tbsp mayonaise
 - pinch of salt
 - 1/2 tsp paprika
 - 6 tsp red caviar


Method
1.  Cut the eggs in half lengthways and gently scoop out the yolk into a bowl, placing the egg whites aside for later.

2.  Mash the egg yolks and add mayonnaise, paprika and salt.

3.  Very gently place the yolk mixture back into the egg whites.

4.  Add half a tsp of red caviar to the top of each egg (as shown in the photo).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment