Monday, May 10, 2010

Butter Chicken



Nick was up in the Gold Coast a few weeks ago and one night Simone and her friend from Melbourne, Neetu, came over for dinner. I decided to make butter chicken for dinner. Nick and I are obsessed (to say the least) with butter chicken from a local Indian restaurant near Nick called Indian Palace. Just thinking of it is making my mouth water.

This recipe is from a magazine article which I have kept from about 8 years - finally I have made it. The sauce is not as thick and creamy as from Indian Palace but it does have some wonderful flavours. (To bruise the cardamon pods, press on them with a knife until the outer layer splits.)

Butter Chicken
Ingredients
- 750g diced chicken breast (or thigh fillets)
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2tsp garam masala
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 140g yoghurt
- 80g butter (I used about 50g)
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 410g can tomato puree (I used canned chopped tomatoes as I didn't have puree, however I do recommend using the puree)
- 180ml chicken stock
- 5 cardamon pods
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 250ml cream

Method
1. Marinate the chicken in a bowl with garlic, garam masala, coriander, cumin, chilli powder, paprika and yoghurt for at least 3 hours.

2. Melt butter in a saucepan and add marinated chicken. Stir for 10 minutes

3. Add bruised cardamon pods, vinegar, chicken stock, cinnamon, tomato puree and tomato paste and mix well. Bring to the boil and then simmer it for 30 minutes (or until the sauce starts to thicken slightly).

4. Stir in the cream and let it cook for another 5-10 minutes.

5. Serve on rice with naan or chapati bread for dipping. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment