A friend of mine asked me for a dinner dish which is fast, cheap, tasty and doesn't require cooking skills - essentially a perfect meal for a busy, hungry uni student. This recipe ticks all the boxes and is one of my favourite pasta sauces.
Creamy Tuna and Mushroom Pasta Sauce (Serves 4)
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 1 bag of button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 large can of tuna (400g), drained
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 250ml light cream
- 1/2 bunch of continental parsley leaves, chopped
- white pepper
- olive oil for frying
- pasta - any pasta works with this sauce but I prefer fettucini
1. Bring large pot of water to the boil for the pasta. Once the water boils, add the pasta and cook the pasta per packet instructions.
2. Heat a medium saucepan on medium heat, add olive oil and onions. Saute the onions until translucent.
3. Add mushrooms to the pan with some salt (the salt helps the mushrooms release their juices quicker). Cook for around 5 minutes.
4. Add tuna, tomato paste, cream and pepper. Mix well and let cook until hot. Take off heat and add the parsley.
5. Serve the sauce over the pasta. Enjoy :)