Monday, April 26, 2010

Auntie Debbie's Creme Caramel


This recipe was given to me by my aunty Debbie. She made it for dessert once when I was visiting Perth and it was so delicious I had to get the recipe off her, however I had never had the chance to make it though. I came across the recipe when I was looking through my recipe book and a few friends were coming around for dinner so I made it for dessert.

This dessert is light and very morish. Note that the pot in which you make the caramel needs to be soaked overnight with water and dishwasher powder. The caramel will come off very easily, if not soaked it takes a lot of scrubbing! Make sure you cool the milk for the custard, otherwise the eggs will be cooked by the milk.

Debbie's Creme Caramel

Ingredients
Caramel
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
Custard
- 6 eggs
- 1L of milk
- 150g caster sugar
- few drops of vanilla essence

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180ÂșC

2. Place sugar (200g) and water in a pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally until all the sugar is melted and turns to a slightly golden colour.

3. Pour caramel over the bottom of a round pan. Don't be to worried if the caramel doesn't cover the entire pan before it sets as during the cooking process the caramel will even out

4. Pour milk with vanilla essence in a pot over medium heat until it boils. Take off heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

5. Beat eggs with the sugar with an electric hand mixer until just combined. Pour milk into the egg mixture and whisk well.

6. Pour the egg mixture through a sieve into the tin

7. Place the tin into a cold water bath and place into the oven for 1 hour.

8. Cool. Turn the mould out onto a plate and serve. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment